In 2006, St. Timothy Lutheran Church celebrated 50 years of “Sharing Christ’s Love Together” and service to the community.
Since 1956, we have supported local ministries such as the Interfaith Homeless Emergency Lodging Program (I-HELP), Peninsula Outreach, the Salvation Army, the YWCA Battered Women’s Shelter, the Monterey County AIDS Project, Campus Ministry CSUMB, Epiphany Lutheran/Episcopal Mission, and the Monterey Peninsula Ministerial Association.
St. Timothy is in partnership with 10,956 congregations, 28 Lutheran colleges and universities, 8 seminaries, 450 world-wide missionaries, one of the largest non-profit social service networks in the U.S., and Lutheran World Relief, all ministries of the 5.2 million-member Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
50 Years ago…..
January 8, 1956 – Our new Lutheran mission was officially named “United Lutheran Church of the Monterey Peninsula.” The name was chosen because we were part of the United Lutheran Church in America, which was a predecessor to our current Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. Our name was changed to St. Timothy Lutheran Church in 1960 Members of our first Church Council were: Pastor James R. Spaid, President; Grove Bishop, Vice President; Reuben T. Pearson, Secretary; Carl Stickan, Treasurer; Vernon Benedict; Alvin Anderson; Elton Heidemeyer; Leonard Harvey; Wayne Heldt; Glenn Johnson; Theodore Pflueger; Clarence Townley, Jr.; Herman Stalberg. Some of our current members may well recognize these “founding fathers” of St. Timothy
OCTOBER 9, 1955 – Pastor Spaid led the FIRST SUNDAY WORSHIP SERVICE, 11:00 A.M. at THE HOUSE OF FOUR WINDS, 458 Calle Principal in Monterey. Present were 80 adults and 15 children. The following Sunday, at 9:30 A.M., 32 children enrolled in the Sunday School. We will also remember that first worship service on Sunday, October 9, 2005.
JULY 1, 1955 – The Rev. James R. Spaid, former U.S. Navy Chaplain and current Mission Developer for the Board of American Missions of the United Lutheran Church in America (ULCA, one of the predecessors to the ELCA) arrived in Monterey to begin the work of developing a new congregation. The decision to begin this endeavor was the result of a synodical survey of the north section of Monterey (Del Monte and Oak Knoll,) Del Rey Oaks, and much of Seaside which had been completed the previous summer by Miss Vera Karrow and Miss Margaret E. Minke.